PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CAKE WITH WHIPPED GANACHE


If you haven’t noticed I’ve really gotten into cake decorating lately. I think it is actually one of my hidden passions that I’ve really gotten into the past year. Actually it spans longer than this past year, but I’ve really tapped into some fun flavors recently.
I’ve been making specialty decorated cakes for my kids birthdays for many years now, but that’s about as far as my decorating experience has gone. But I am seriously addicted to cake so I figured I’d give it more of a go and play around with some fun stuff and I’ve been happy with some of the results!

If you haven’t caught some of my cakes in the past, you can find a variety of flavors if you just search cake. Or you can find Pumpkin Spice, Chocolate Raspberry and Lemon Poppy seed if you want a fast way to find them, just click on the names where they appear a different color.

Ok, so cake. Literally I can live off of cake. My husband is not the sweets type as I’ve highly said in my previous dessert posts, which leave me to eat all this cake I’ve become addicted to. Luckily I have some willing people in my life that are glad to take extras off my hands when need by…because even as much as I love cake, I feel bad eating the whole thing by myself. And obviously I don’t want it to go to waste.
My newest creation is this Peanut Butter Banana Cake with Whipped Ganache! You guy’s, I’ve never loved peanut butter and banana together more than I do in this cake. Like for real. Can I tell you a little secret? I don’t think I’ve actually had banana and peanut butter together before I tried this.

Yup, that’s right. I was a newb to these flavors. Thanks to some insisting by another blogging friend of mine, I decided to go for it. And it is heaven. Seriously, if you’ve never tried these flavors together before, I URGE you to. Making this cake would be a good start!
This cake is a perfect dense cake for my liking, so it holds together really well. And if you never knew it before…you can make whipped chocolate ganache. That’s right! It’s not just for pouring and dipping anymore. Whip that baby with your hand or stand mixture and you have a light and fluffy indulgent frosting.
The texture of the whipped ganache alone makes me swoon. It’s kind of like a mixture between a buttercream and a mousse. It’s light and fluffy, but still packs a flavor punch. I always make my ganache with semi-sweet chocolate, but if that’s too strong for your liking, it’s really easy to add a little bit of flavoring to it to tone it down.

I seriously love this cake though. This might just be overall one of my favorite flavors that I have made. But I’m sure I’ve said that with all of them!! It’s so hard for me to not like a cake. Ok…well not too hard, one cake that I can’t stand is Angel Food Cake. Yeah, I know it’s weird, but I think it might be a texture thing for me. It’s TOO light and fluffy for my taste.
I really enjoy a dense cake here and there, or a crumby one. But I usually aim for something in the middle. Oh and they have to be moist. That is key for my fave cakes, that way they stay together well. A little trick I use when I get a more light cake is to add a little simple syrup between my layers before I add the filling. Makes it stay moist and doesn’t dry it out.
With this Peanut Butter Banana Cake I didn’t do that, it had just the right moistness to it that it that all I really needed to do is frost it and devour, and that’s exactly what I did. I devoured this heavenly treat and I can’t wait to try this one again!

PEANUT BUTTER BANANA CAKE WITH WHIPPED GANACHE
A moist and delicious banana cake is filled and frosted with a rich peanut butter buttercream and drizzled with chocolate ganache and topped with a fluffy whipped ganache.
  Write a review


Prep Time
1 hr 30 min
Cook Time
50 min
Total Time
2 hr 20 min
INGREDIENTS
  1. 3 cups all-purpose flour
  2. 1 tsp baking soda
  3. 1/2 tsp salt
  4. 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed (about 4 medium)
  5. 1/2 cup butter, room temp
  6. 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  7. 1 1/4 cup sugar
  8. 1/2 cup brown sugar
  9. 3 eggs
  10. 1 tsp vanilla
  11. 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
PEANUT BUTTER BUTTERCREAM
  1. 1 cup butter
  2. 1 cup shortening
  3. 1 (16-18 oz) container peanut butter
  4. 5 cups powdered sugar
WHIPPED GANACHE
  1. 1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  2. 1 cup heavy whipping cream
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Line the bottoms of 2 9" cake pans with parchment paper and spray pans with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
  3. In medium bowl mix together your flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
  4. In bowl cream together your butter, oil, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
  5. Mix in eggs 1 at a time, combining well after each addition.
  6. Stir in your vanilla and bananas until combined.
  7. Starting with flour alternate adding your flour and buttermilk into your wet mixture until everything is combined.
  8. Pour batter evenly into baking pans and bake for about 50 minutes or until center is set
  9. Remove from oven and let cool in pans for about 10 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks to cool completely.
  10. Meanwhile to make your buttercream, in large bowl mix together your butter and shortening until fluffy.
  11. Add your peanut butter and continue to mix until blended and creamy.
  12. Adding 1 cup at a time mix in your powdered sugar until your reach your desired consistency.
  13. To assemble your cake, split each of your cake layers in half using a cake leveler or serrated knife, add your bottom layer to a turntable and top with about 3/4 cup buttercream and smooth out the edges. Repeat for all layers
  14. Once you place your top layer on pipe remaining frosting onto sides with a long flat ribbon tip and smooth out over sides and top.
  15. Place in refrigerator to chill.
  16. Meanwhile to make your ganache, place your chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
  17. On stove top add your heavy cream to pan and heat until it just beings to boil, then remove and pour over your chocolate. Cover for about 5 minutes.
  18. Remove top and stir your cream and chocolate together until its all melted and blended. Let sit for a few minutes to thicken a bit.
  19. Remove cake from refrigerator and spoon a little of your ganache over the edges of your cake so it drips down the sides, place back in refrigerator.
  20. Place your ganache in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until completely cool, once cooled remove and using a hand mixer start to whip your ganache until it becomes light and fluffy (abut 5 minutes.)
  21. Place whipped ganache in piping bag fitted with a large start tip, remove cake from refrigerator once again and pipe desired design on cake.
Adapted from Cooking Classy

Comments

Popular Posts