FAMOUS BRICK STREET CHOCOLATE CAKE

This luscious Brick Street Chocolate Cake is everything you dream of in a chocolate cake. Rich and delicious. The pourable chocolate ganache is over the top decadent!
Hey folks – we’re having a par-tay here today. Yeah. And you’re invited! So grab your party hat! Today we’re having cake to celebrate the one year anniversary of Through Her Looking Glass. Uh huh. I know.
Never really thrown a party for myself. (But it’s really for the blog, right?) Not exactly Miss Manners etiquette and all, but now that I’m really getting into it, let’s just DO this. We’re having cake. Chocolate cake. Brick Street Chocolate Cake.
Parties call for cakes and laughs. Here’s a throwback chuckle: my very first Through Her Looking Glass post last fall:
Everytime a Bell Rings
(Hope you smiled.) And now let’s talk cake.
An excellent chocolate cake recipe’s like the little black dress. (Or suit.) Important to have in the wardrobe (recipe box) when the occasion arises. Not like you’ll need it every day or even every week, but there when you need it. Yes, that’s exactly how I feel about this luscious chocolate cake.
So I’ve been on a quest for some time (years) to find the perfect chocolate cake recipe. Dense and rich. With a to-die-for ganache icing. And not too many crazy steps to put it together. Yeah.
Thought I found that recipe a few years ago. There was a chocolate cake recipe I really loved. But then I found this easy recipe for Brick Street Chocolate Cake. Truthfully, it found me.
I’ll tell you how. A friend who happens to be quite a wonderful baker in the south messages me, says she has a chocolate cake recipe to-die-for and I should put it on the blog.
Says it will make me famous.
Well I’m all about celebrity (snicker), so I message back, say…
“Bring. It. On. Sister!”
And she says, “Catch is, gotta bake it in a convection oven.”
So my spirits plummet fast because I don’t have a convection oven. (Not even in my stainless-steel fully equipped second kitchen with the copper range hood.) Just kidding. Still dreaming on that… So I message back, say: “Bummer, I’m plumb out o’ luck. Haven’t got one.”
And she says:”Then find one. It’s just that good. I’m sending the recipe.”
So here’s an example of a blessing in disguise. (Very disguise.) Lo and behold several months after that conversation my oven actually bites the dust. And we have to replace it. With her words still echoing, I choose an oven with a convection feature.
Well I’m just so glad we did. (And so are you.) Because now you have this awesome recipe too. And if you don’t have a convection oven to bake it in like me, well then…
you’ll just have to find one!
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!! Great news, the Brick Street Chocolate Cake recipe has now been adapted for baking in a regular, conventional oven. 

This luscious chocolate cake is everything you dream of in a chocolate cake. Rich and delicious. The pourable chocolate ganache is over the top. Bake this in a tube pan, let it cool completely.
Fill the center hole with ganache icing first, then pour the rest over the top, let it cascade down the sides. Yeah. There’s cocoa in that ganache. Cocoa in the cake. Also chocolate pudding and chocolate chips.
Chocolate on steroids. If you’re looking for the best chocolate cake recipe, this is by far the best one I’ve made.
(And I’ve made a lot of chocolate cakes.)

The recipe for Brick Street Chocolate Cake comes from Brick Street Cafe in Greenville, South Carolina. I lived in Greenville for many years and dined at Brick Street Cafe on several occasions.
It’s a lovely downtown restaurant on the west end housed in a former brick mill, hence the name.
So if you happen to be in town, buy a slice of this decadence for $5. Or the whole luscious cake for $25. (Or like me: save the plane fare and bake your own.)
IMPORTANT UPDATE!!! Excellent news, the Brick Street Chocolate Cake recipe has now been adapted for baking in a regular, conventional oven. 
Yields 1
FAMOUS BRICK STREET CHOCOLATE CAKE
Famous Brick Street Chocolate Cake. Everything you dream of: rich, dense chocolate cake. Surprise ingredients. And to-die-for ganache icing
20 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 20Total Time


Ingredients
    Cake:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour
  • 1 cup baking cocoa, sifted
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup instant chocolate pudding mix (small box)
  • 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

  • Chocolate Icing:
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup baking cocoa, sifted
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream (more or less for consistency)

Instructions
    Cake:
  1. Preheat CONVECTION OVEN ONLY to 350°.
  2. Beat sugar, butter & vanilla in large bowl.
  3. Beat in eggs.
  4. Mix in cake flour, baking cocoa, soda, salt, chocolate pudding mix and buttermilk.
  5. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips.
  6. Pour into greased tube pan.
  7. Bake in CONVECTION OVEN ONLY at 350° for 60-70 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
  8. Cool cake completely before icing.
  9. Chocolate Icing:
  10. Heat water, butter and vanilla together in sauce pan on stovetop until melted.
  11. Remove from heat.
  12. Stir in one cup cocoa.
  13. Stir in powdered sugar, sifted.
  14. Stir in heavy cream, up to 3 tablespoons until you get the desired consistency.
  15. Ice by filling the hole in the middle of the cake first, then spread icing over the cake and pour over the sides. Icing will harden as it cools.
Recipe Type: Dessert
Notes
Bake in convection oven only. This does not work in a traditional oven.


Brick Street Chocolate Cake 

Comments

Popular Posts